It’s #WorkoutWednesday and today we’ve got a 3 for 1 special going on the shoulders! That’s right, I’m going to demonstrate 3 different dumbbell exercises for shoulders to help develop strength, endurance and shape all in 1 video. I know, I know, it’s quite a bit to cover, but we’re going to do it quickly so get ready to pay attention. First here’s a brief intro…
Why Should Truck Drivers Care About Shoulder Exercises?
Like leg exercises, shoulder exercises can often be overlooked. There’s nothing flashy about them so sometimes shoulder workouts just gets swept under the rug. That is until some type of injury flares up. You see, many upper body exercises put strain on the shoulders and without proper conditioning disaster can occur. And by disaster I mean things such as rotator cuff injuries…yeah, not much fun. As truck drivers know, holding on to the steering wheel for hours on end can create some fatigue in the arms. Now, imagine doing that with a bum shoulder. I think you get the point.
Well, I am going to show you the first step in building shoulder strength to help mold those melon shoulders and prevent setbacks like rotator cuff injuries. Watch the video below for an awesome lateral raise shoulder exercise, a demonstration of “Arnold Press” and some front shoulder raises.
What Exercise Equipment Is Needed?
To do the shoulder exercises for truck drivers demonstrated in this video, all that’s needed is a set of dumbbells. In fact, for the lateral raises only 1 dumbbell is needed, but the other exercises require both, so it just makes sense to pick up a pair of them here for right around $15-$20. Since they don’t take up much space in the truck, it’ll make for a great investment in your health. In the video, I’m using the vinyl dumbbells. I highly recommend the vinyl version because of the durability and soft feel.
#HTWorkout Quick Tip
Remember, these exercises are designed to increase strength and endurance while developing the melon shape of the shoulders. What this means is a high number of quality reps far outweighs the benefits of a lower amount of reps with higher weight. While I joke around about Arnold Schwarzenegger doing the “Arnold Press” to train for Mr. Olympia, I’d take 10 quality reps with low weight over 1 with higher weight and he would too! Now, let’s take a look at how to do the 3 exercises demonstrated in the video above…
How To Do Lateral Raise Shoulder Exercises
1. Hold 1 dumbbell in hand and grab onto truck with opposite hand.
2. Use grip on truck as support while leaning opposite way to let arm hang.
3. Raise arm with dumbbell from side of body up and out to shoulder level in smooth, controlled motion.
Lower back to start position and repeat on each side for 4 sets of 10-12 reps each. Your shoulders may feel fatigued, but should remain pain free for the duration of the exercise.
How To Do Anterior Deltoid Raises
1. Hold 1 dumbbell in each hand in front of body while standing straight up with feet shoulder width apart.
2. Bend elbows slightly to help prevent injury.
3. Raise right arm with dumbbell to shoulder height in smooth, controlled motion Lower arm back to front of body and repeat for left arm.
Continue with each side for 4 sets of 10-12 reps each. Your shoulders may feel fatigued, but should remain pain free for the duration of the exercise.
How To Do “Arnold Press”
1. Hold two dumbbells in front of you at about upper chest level with palms facing body and elbows bent. Your arms should be next to your torso.
2. Raise the dumbbells while rotating the palms of your hands until they are facing forward.
2. Bend elbows slightly to help prevent injury
3. Continue lifting the dumbbells upward until arms are extended above head in straight arm position.
4. After a second pause at the top, begin to lower the dumbbells to the original position by rotating the palms of your hands towards you.
Repeat for 4 sets of 10-12 reps. Remember to focus on breathing and form during each part of this exercise.
While You’re At It, Don’t Miss These Other Workout Wednesday Routines:
- Banish Belly Fat With This V-Up Exercise
- 10 Trans4mer Exercises for Truckers
- Lose The Love Handles With These Trunk Twists
- Roll Out Sore Muscles, Aches, and Pains During Exercise
- Find Your Missing 6-Pack with These Ab Exercises
- More Dumbbell Exercises For Truckers – How To Do Squat Press
- Build Biceps With 3 Dumbbell Curl Exercises
- Turn a Push-Up Into a Row with this Trucker Workout
- Get a Jump on Getting in Shape: Jump Rope Exercises for Truckers
- Tearing Up the Tricep Extensions – Time To Burn Some Arm Fat!